Thursday, July 2, 2009

Contractions or not contractions

We did indeed go into labor that Thursday evening. I was having some contractions throughout the week but mostly a pain in my upper right rib cage area that I was unfamiliar with. I couldn't sleep yet again for the thrid night in a row. I decided to get up and try to time the contractions. The pain never seemed to go away but I could calulate some contractions happening. I tried twice to lay back down but was unsuccessful. I finally got in the shower, thinking it might relax me. But when I got out I decided to wake John.
At 4 a.m. we got the kids up, called our friends, and told them we were on our way to the hospital. I was only dialated to 2cm when I arrived at the hospital. I was really afraid they would send me back home. I got in the jacuzzi tub thinking it might help but it only relaxed me enough to stop my contractions and even took away the upper right quadrant pain I was having. The doctor came in to check me one more time and praise God I had gone to 3, maybe 4cm and I was staying!
I got an epideral, the Doc broke my water, and then the waiting began. I stalled out and they added some potosin to my iv. In a matter of five minutes I went from a 5 to a 10 and it was time to push.
Clara Beatrice Shand came into this world at 1:36 p.m. on Friday afternoon, June 26th. She weighed 6 lbs and measured 18 inches long. She immediately knew how to nurse and latched on well. My two dear friends Kassandra and Kristen were there to witness her birth. Soon after her sisters joined us in the room. They were very excited to finally meet their baby sister.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love reading about the story of Clara's birth! only wish i could be there to help and enjoy her. glad things are going well with her and you are doing better. praying for you and you family in the loss of your grandfather! so sad but glad that you are able to rejoice that he is perfectly happy!

love and miss you
emily

Blessed Mommy said...

Jennifer, you are such a wonderful writer! I know all these things already, but to come here and listen to your heart, put into words....awwww...I'm gonna cry. You are such a blessing to me and my family. I can't tell you or even put into words what you have done for me! To be honored enough to care for your kids and to see Clara Bea enter this world, its just too much for my heart. Thank you isn't enough and never will be....I LOVE YOU!

Family Pictures Fall 09

Easter 2010