Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Say what you mean, and mean what you say!

Today has been rough. We received an offer on our house late last night. You would think that this would send a rush of excitement through my soul but I think at this point I am pretty guarded with my emotions. The offer was quite low, in fact 14,000 dollars less than our asking price. We also put out a bounty to all the buying realtors, for a bonus of $2,500 when the house closes. We also recently spent another $2,100 on brand new carpet in the house. So all this to say that we are loosing money fast! After John and I talked it through, we realized we did not have much choice but to accept whatever we could. We tried counter offering but in the end, it seems that we ended up right were they had started.
SO,how do I feel about this? Well, I've hit about every possible emotion one could have over the situation. But mostly I've been angry. I just couldn't accept that this is the plan God has for us. Until the Holy Spirit began to work in my heart this morning.
It started with the girls' Bible lesson this morning. We were reading about the story of Noah and the rainbow. I was explaining to them that God gave us the rainbow as a covenant, a promise that he would never forsake us. Then we decided to sing some songs at the piano. We sang "O Be Careful Little Eyes" to teach it to Kelsey. Then we sang the verse, "O be careful little mind what you think...for the Father up above is looking down in love..." WOW! I couldn't have more convicted at that moment.
Later in the morning I was on a phone call with John, he was filling me in on the details of the upcoming contract. I was reminded (not by him, but by yet again the Holy Spirit's nudging) that I told him before we moved that I was willing to come, even if it meant starting over again. You've got to be kidding me. Did I really tell him that? Wasn't that just one of those things you say to a person you love, but not sure if you really mean it?
Well, I'm not sure if I really did mean it when I said it, but funny how it turns out, isn't it? It's kind of like that southern hospitality thing. Someone offers you a gesture of kindness and you at first turn it down, hoping they will ask you yet once more. All this to say, that I feel like the Lord is teaching me to say what I mean, and really mean it when I say it! I am sure there are many other things the Lord is teaching me right now as well, I just haven't fully realized them yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok-glad i checked out your blog. very insightful and wise of you to recognize that we do need to accept what circumstances God has put in-isn't it amaing how these messages do come so often through something we are teaching to our kids and think we've mastered ourselves?? thanks for the update

Melissa said...

love your blog, very encouraging...hang in there. I was just telling my bff tonight that God has a plan for everything.

Anonymous said...

Trusting in God can be such a difficult thing, I know exactly what you are going through. I went through a eerily similiar situation and all I can say is now we know. Now we know the decision to move was right, it didn't feel right at first because I was leaving family but God has blessed us tremendously with a healthy beautiful family, a roof over our heads, and a successful job for my husband. Sometimes the best place to start realizing God's trustworthiness is to look at all the things we take for granted that he provides daily then move to the fact that it is His plan not ours. And we might not like it. I have such a hard time not letting my circumstances decide my joy. My joy is in the Lord and my salvation through it ALL.

Family Pictures Fall 09

Easter 2010