Today was a great day! The Lord provided us with great weather, perfect temperatures, healthy bodies and swift feet. John and I both finished our first half marathon in great time. We crossed the finish line within minutes of each other between 2 hours and 3 minutes to 2 hours and 6 minutes. However, I think I enjoyed the experience much more than my husband did.
I was so thankful for a restful night of sleep. That is usually always my biggest struggle leading up to a race. I tend to toss and turn and anticipate the alarm clock but this morning I slept the night thru and didn't wake up til the alarm sounded at 5 a.m. We had no trouble finding a terrific parking spot and taking the shuttle to the start line. I also always have to pee a couple of times before the race - I just call it the pre-race jitters and yet again everything worked out in perfect timing.
The course was a lot of fun. I have heard from other runners that once you have experienced a marathon you are hooked and I believe it now. There is nothing like the encouragement you receive from the people, friends and family members that line the streets, the many water stations, people passing out candy and orange slices or popsicles. The bands that are playing or simply the person who had their car stereo blasting got you pumped up or at least to the next mile marker. All the signs of encouragement, the cow bells and hand clappers - I loved it all, especially the polka lady who played her accordion somewhere around mile 4.
I usually have to walk around mile 7 and had prepared myself mentally to just be okay with the fact that during the course I would probably need to walk a portion of it. But all the adrenaline and the fact that my lower body went numbed (so I didn't feel the pain) got me through. Actually, I know it was all the prayers that were spoken on my behalf today and the constant murmurs of thankfulness that gave me the strength to run today. I give all the glory to God and am so thankful that he gave me the health and strength to run.
I am also so proud of my husband who endured this series of races with me. He never ceased to amaze me. In each race (from the 5K, 10K and now the half) he always surpassed my expectations. He says he doesn't ever want to run again though. Oh well, the marathon didn't have the same affect on him that it did on me. But I appreciate his support in doing this with me. It was so much more enjoyable to experience it together.
I also want to thank my Mom for coming up this weekend to stay home with the kids. It was such a huge stress reliever to not have to worry about them. My mind was at ease. Maybe next year they can watch from the sidelines too.
So - a word of encouragement to all you readers out there. Set a goal for yourself - something that you have not yet accomplished. Whether it is a walk or run around the block, to your first 5K or even bigger - You can do it! God will give you the strength. He created us to do amazing things. To say that you could never do something like that, is to say that God can't, and believe me, HE CAN!
No comments:
Post a Comment