I was blessed to have my Mom come up for a visit before her piano teaching schedule begins next week. She drove up on Friday night just in time for my Zumba class at the Y. We spent most of our days close to home, playing games with the kids. She helped me with schooling the girls on Monday and Tuesday - Kelsey was able to get some undivided attention from Grandma.
I always think it is funny how much my mom is amazed at what I do. To me, it is just a part of my every day life. It is part of all the experiences that I've ever had mixed together to make ME. She wonders how I learned to draw, how could I know the steps to teach Zumba, and so forth. Mom it was you! You gave me all these opportunities in life. I was able to do so many things growing up from dance lessons, art lessons, girl scouts, soccer, babysitting, helping teach at church, piano and music, being around other grown-ups where I learned to play cards and games - and so many more experiences that I could go on and on. You and dad gave me such a wonderful childhood. Thank you for working so hard so that I could do all those things.
Sometimes I contemplate whether it is better to do one thing really well - like a sport or playing a particular instrument. Some people focus all their energy into one activity, to become the best at it. I never really did this. I don't know if it was because I am too easily distracted or too much of a perfectionist to finish anything. But I must say - I'm glad I have a variety of things that I can do. I may not be the best piano player but I have the ability to play and also have the ability to get out on a sports field and time to enjoy other activities.
What philosophy do you have on this for your children? Do you put them on the track to learn one skill or talent really well or do you skip around from thing to thing. I guess with mine I have wanted them to have some kind of physical activity they do well, whether it is a sport or something like dance and then I want them to have a musical skill too. So far we have relied on my piano teaching. But I am finding with four children this might be an impossible expense and schedule to keep up with in time. But I long for them to have these experiences. I consider them to be my favorite memories of childhood and the influences that made me who I am today.
I encourage you to post your comments on the subject if you'd like.
1 comment:
I think it's crazy how I go around life thinking that i'm the only one who struggles with certain things. I think i've been bummed with not being amazing at one thing. Looking at this blog made me realize what a blessing it may be to be good at a bunch of little things, especially with wanting to become a teacher. I think i'm learning that you have to be open to being a lot of different things and knowing I had experiences in different activities makes me excited to move forward. I just wanted to say this was a big encouragement to keep moving forward. I really needed that. Love, Evie
Post a Comment