Thursday, August 12, 2010

Back into the swing of things

We started our school year this week. Seems strange to be starting school when it so extremely hot outside but then again it gives us a good reason to be inside. All the pools here are already closed for the season since public schools started this week as well. It's uncomfortable to be outside so I figured getting us back into the routine of things would be best.
The girls have done well with their school work this week. I think there is always a little thrill in it at the beginning - even for me. We have enjoyed science the most this week. Something I have really never put much effort into before but found an easy to use curriculum and we are having fun with the activities and discussions. I don't have all of their curriculum ordered yet. We are still lacking two subjects, but starting out with five this week has been a good reentry into our schedule.
The most difficult task for this school year will be finding enough things for Clara Bea to do while I am instructing. Her attention span is short and she is loud. It seems like the entire downstairs level of our house is completely torn up after the few hours of morning instruction. Clara Bea has unloaded every toy, pot or pan, tupperware dishes, paper, crayons, books from shelves, and so forth that she can get her little hands on. I had actually added the chore of "cleaning up after Clara Bea" to our list, not realizing what a big task it was going to be. I think it will be the dreaded chore on the list now.
We have also dealt with some behavior issues this week. After the girls have spent time away from home it seems like we always go through a period of re-entry. The good news is that it seems to get better with age. Anna has shown strides of maturity. However again it has fallen on the youngest - mostly with temper tantrums and crying to be held.
I am excited about our school year here. We are hoping to find new friends and relationships here as we pursue activities around town. Prayers are appreciated!

2 comments:

Blessed Mommy said...

I'm so happy that you guys are doing so well. I'm a bit jealous of your schedule and schooling already. I'm ready to jump back into things here. After nearly a week in bed, it kinda puts a damper on schedules. I'm hoping to work on it today. Many prayers are being lifted for you and the family today. I miss you so much! I pray that your school year is the best so far! Hugs and Love to all!

Anonymous said...

Awesome entry Jen.
I am so proud of you, how you express the contrasting emotions
of things that need to be dealt with. Bless you all. Mom

Family Pictures Fall 09

Easter 2010