Thursday, March 25, 2010

Missing John

We've been without John almost two weeks now. In some ways the time has gone by fast. Our schedule has been very busy. But there definately has been a huge void in our lives for sure.
Sunday mornings are the hardest. While John is not usually extremely helpful with getting the girls ready for church, there are many other things that he does for us on Sundays. For one, it is the traditional Sunday breakfast "on the go". Typically Daddy has always taken the girls to get doughnuts while I am dropped off at church to rehearse music. This is their father - daughters time they spend together each week. And then there is the care giver role that he exudes each week as the parent-in-the-pew. Since I am with the music team for a big portion of the service, he has always been the one to sit with the children, keeping them on task and behaving nicely. I can already tell a difference with the younger ones when Daddy is not around. And the numerous other things, like carrying our bags, picking up children from Sunday school (I have forgotten #3 both times now), standing in line to order lunch at Wendy's and so forth. I never realized how much help he was on Sundays!
The girls have all had at least one break down now. The saddest one was the other night when we came home late. My four year old had fallen asleep in the van. I had to wake her to have her walk inside while I was carrying the sleeping baby. She got inside alright, entered our den where a family portrait hangs above the mantel and began balling. I rushed back in the room after putting the baby in her crib, thinking she was hurt or something. She pointed to the picture and said, "Daddy's not here". I wanted to laugh and cry with her at the same time. I thought it was so sweet. She knew daddy would normally have carried her to bed.
We have used the video texting on our cell phones more now than ever before. The girls will send little messages to John and he will send a short video of himself back. This has been fun for them and quite entertaining. Thank goodness for unlimited texting!
The good news is that we miss each other. It puts a longing in our hearts to be together again. The girls have already said, I wish I was in Inidiana. Sometimes I remind them that we want to make the most of our time here, with their special friends. But it also gives me a satisfying feeling that the Lord gives us a desire to go. Instead of crying over what we are loosing, we look ahead at what is too come.

1 comment:

Blessed Mommy said...

Ahh...just when I think my life is hard, I think of you and what you are enduring!! I have NO right to complain whatsoever. I'm so sorry that everyone is missing John, we are too, but you will be together soon. I am praying for you daily my friend....I only wish I could do more, so much more.

Family Pictures Fall 09

Easter 2010