
Today we went as a family to the ultra sound clinic. We had only told the girls that they would get to see pictures of the baby in Mommy's tummy.
We began the visit with a meeting with a genetic counselor. She went into detail about my test results from the AFP screening. The raise for concern came from my protein levels being too high, almost twice the normal level. This meant they were looking for neurological tube disorders, meaning spina bifida. Down syndrome was not of concern.
She explained evertyhing in great detail and I felt very educated. It was nice to understand what was going on or at least understand what they were looking for. She went through the areas they would look for in the ultra sound, which included any leak in the spinal cord, kidneys, baby's urine discretion, and markers such as a "lemon- shaped" head or a "bannana-shaped" brain. Also sometimes club feet are associated with spina bifida. The percentage rate for finding evidence of these things through the ultra sound was very high and that was encouraging.
The ultra sound went well. The baby cooperated with little movement so they were able to look for all the things intended. The doctor came back with positive feedback and said the ultra sound looked good.
I will continue to have to have the baby's growth monitored closely because of the elevated level of proteins, which means more ultra sounds to come. One possible reason for the high levels could be a thin placenta. This would be important to know at a later stage in the pregnancy to make sure the baby is growing and gaining weight. Right now she is estamated to be 14 ounces. Or it could just be the way that my body makes babies - who knows.
Many sighs of relief were let out today. I am so thankful for God's provision for our family. He had certainly given me peace for the situation and I was able to go today with confidence that everything was going to be okay.
I am humbled. I wonder if this is God's way of making me become more intimately connected with this baby inside. I have been more distant this time around. With the recent prayers and concerns for a healthy baby being more important to me as of late it has forced me to think of this child more carefully. I am finally able to accept the addition to the family and value God's gift.
To everyone - thank you for your prayers! Look at the beautiful picture we got today of this little one. Her knees are almost tucked up under her chin. To God be the glory, great things He has done!
5 comments:
A proud Grandpa Jones is thrilled with the test results. All the details of life really are in Christ's hands.
I'm so happy for you all. We're looking forward to getting to see her in a few months. See you all soon.
I am looking forward to meeting this very special new grandbaby! I am so thankful for you, her precious mother, my daughter, whose faith has been tried and tested. Keep the faith, God has great things in store for you. Mom
OH,be still my heart! She is beautiful beyond measure, like her mom, and Praise God for the good results. We will continue to pray for her health, your health and a safe delivery! We love you guys!
We're praying for your family. I thought about Bjon's family when I read this. His parents didn't want any more children after the second. She even tried to get the doctor to tie her tubes but he wouldn't do it without her husband being there and he was touring at the time. Lo and behold, she had their third, Dion two years later. He is definitely the life of their family. His personality and heart shape who they are. He and his wife have been out of the country on missions for a year now. It pains me to think of what we all would have missed if they hadn't let God do what's best.
I love you guys!
Post a Comment