Tuesday, October 14, 2008

An Eventful Day!

Well, this morning I was planning on spending the last few hours with my mom. She had come to NC for her first visit with us. We had a good time showing her around the place, having her meet our friends and attending our church. The time went by way too fast - Especially today!
John called me a little after nine o'clock this morning and says, "Yeah, I need you to come and get me from Rowan (that is pronounced, row-Ann, with plenty of country twang) County off Hwy 152." My immediate reaction was, "Why, what happened?" John replies, "Well, I just rear-ended a boat and think I may have totalled the truck."
So I left the kids with my mom and off I went to retrieve him. It was about a 45minute drive from where we live and of course I got a little lost on the way because Hwy 152 takes several turns this way and that. I ended up in the middle of nowhere which is exactly where I was supposed to be, just a few miles in the wrong direction.
I finally made it to the site of the accident where the officer was still finishing his report. The little lady who lived on that road came out to offer everyone a cold mountain dew. She made a point to tell me that "we come into this world with nothing and will leave this world with nothing" and to be glad that my husband was alright. I was tickled by her attempt to share the gospel with me. A mechanic who just happened to be traveling to work at this time offered to tow John's truck to his shop which was literally two blocks away. He seems to be an honest guy and has offered to repair the truck at a fair price - of course this will all go through the insurance agency too.
So out of it all, we can see ways in which God has provided. It is very evident to me yet at the same time, I still wonder why. And it goes back to the verse that I was intrigued by on Sunday morning. 1 Peter 4:12-13 Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.
So I've come to the conclusion that: Yes, I live in a fallen and sinful world where I will experience yucky stuff yet, I am a child of God who will also experience His provision and joy, so that one day I can join Him in heaven and live forever and never again experience hardships.
This reminds me of that country song - "Lord I want to go to heaven, but I'm not ready just yet". I like this song, it has a catchy tune and I find myslef singing along when it comes on the radio. In fact I think I've lived most of my life feeling this way. I wanted to go to heaven but there were still things I wanted to do here on earth, like get married, have babies, see my kids grow up, travel the world, etc.. But now I'd like to change the lyrics to: "O Lord, I want to go to heaven, and I am ready right now!" Guess it probably doesn't rhyme as well but the older I get the more I see of my own sin and the sin around me and realize that this world doesn't have as much to offer as I thought. So Lord, I'm ready!

4 comments:

Blessed Mommy said...

Oh Jennifer, I am so sorry about your eventful day. WOW....that's all I can come up with right now. I hear ya though, there are those days when I say "Lord, come on!! I'm ready!" :) Blessings and Prayers for a better week.

Anonymous said...

This is well stated Jenn. You don't know how very thankful I am to read and hear your heart on these trials you continue to have. God is allowing these things for some GOOD reason to come. He is looking after you and knows and sees it all. He will carry you and provide. I am with you on all of it. You are a huge blessing girl. Keep on keeping the faith, pressing on. You'll see! Mom

Jennifer@DoingTheNextThing said...

I didn't know you had a blahg! You go, girl! I look forward to exploring past posts.
Sorry to hear about the truck, but thankful John is ok. I like the verse from 2 Peter - I need to put that one up on the kitchen cabinets and memorize it! Thanks for the encouragement.
Jennifer Covington

Anonymous said...

i so agree with you. i used to wonder about people who would pray "come quickly Jesus" and now i know why. Let him return and make all things new and perfect! the little things in life all add up and make it a hard place to live.
thanks you for the encouraging words-i ned to hear them often!

Family Pictures Fall 09

Easter 2010