Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My doctor's visit

Today was another trip to the health department for me. I learned my lesson last time and made plans for the kids to be with other people today. My appointment began at 10:45 and I got out of there at five minutes til two. I did however finally see the doctor today! He started with questioning me about the accuracy of my last period. I told him I was quite certain about the dates in October but not so much about the previous one in September. He thought that I seemed to be measuring larger. So the next thing I know I was moved to the room next door for an ultra sound.
The thing you gotta love about the health department is that they do not tell you what is going on. I had no idea I was getting an ultra sound until I walked into the next room and saw the machine. I was immediately excited. Then the doctor comes in and says to me, " so you turned 35 this year".
"Yes, I did", I replied.
"Do you know why this is significant with this pregnancy", he says.
Now I was irritated.
He goes on to ask me if I know what down syndrome is, and did I have any history of birth defects in the family. It was exhausting and I immediately began to pray for peace. Not only for the health of this baby but also for my patience level with this doctor. I declined any further testing but I think they will still test the blood that was drawn from me today.
The good news is that I got to see some pictures of the baby. It was not a typical ultrasound. No explanations. He basically measured the baby's head and then moved my due date up a week acoording to the outcome of the measurement. So I jumped from 16 weeks pregnant to 17 weeks pregnant in a matter of minutes - that was great!
No I did not get to find out the sex of the baby. I did ask if it was possible, but he said probably not without even trying. He did discover another sist about the size of a walnut and said he would recheck it in a couple of months. But honestly I think I will be with another doctor at that point. March 1st cannot come soon enough! (The day our health insurance is reinstated.)
At the end of this all, I do admit that there is a part of me that is somewhat worried about the unknown. But I left there today confident in my Lord and Saviour. He gave me peace and for this I am thankful!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing-i'll pray that that peace continues! Glad you moved forward a week and that the baby looked healthy!!! what kind of cyst? can't wait to see you tomorrow!

Family Pictures Fall 09

Easter 2010