Now that we've told the children, I feel at ease to let in the rest of the world. On our wonderful Minneapolis get-a-way, I was anxiously awaiting the arrival of "that-time-of-the-month". Well, after a couple of weeks of wondering, or rather making excuses, like ... I was late last month, I've been under a lot of stress, it'll come the one week I'm on vacation... You know the ones I'm talking about, right? I finally couldn't stand the curiousity any longer so I walked into a Walgreens, right there in downtown Minneapolis and bought a pregnancy test. I proceeded to go back to the hotel room, went straight to the bathroom and peed on the stick. Before I could set the thing down on the counter beside me there was already a vividly blue plus sign in one box. My heart lept, I grabbed the box out of the trash can to reread the instructions because after all, I had bought the Walgreens brand and this one must be different.
Who can describe the feeling of finding out you're pregnant? Everything inside you has feeling. They just happen to be really all over the map. Joy, worry, happiness, anxiety, pride, inhibition. My next concern was how I was going to break the news to John.
I was already scheduled to meet him for lunch over at the convention center. So I met him there, of course with hundreds of others. We ate lunch without much discussion. I asked if he'd like to go back to the room for a few minutes before his next session began. MEN, what can I say. I think John thought I was offering a "quicky" over lunch break. When we got to the room and I showed him the very positive, pregnancy stick, I think his first reaction was something like, "oh great".
Now, why do we women get upset when men generally have the same reactions we do? Maybe because they actually say them out loud. But for whatever reason we start asking stupid questions like, "Aren't you excited?" I shouldn't even set myself up for ones like that.
Well, a few days have passed and we have generally gotten over the shock. No we were not expecting four children but now it seems like this is the perfect piece to complete our family. We know that children are a blessing and that most importantly God has a plan for our lives.
So now we will make preparations.
1 comment:
Hey Jennifer!
Congrats on your baby news! That's so exciting.
Four kids...guess you guys weren't done afterall. :-)
Sounds like you guys are doing well in your new home. I'm so glad for you. Your blog is great!
~Arinn
Post a Comment