So along with moving comes the chore of finding a new church home. Being in a church family has always been a huge part of our existence - something our children have always known. I want my kids to know that when things get tough or life is hard you can always rely on your extended family - your church friends. So this is something that I have been concerned about since we moved to Indiana.
We have visited a nondenominational church that is reformed in theology. It was recommended to us by a family that previously lived in Evansville. The preaching is good but there are things in the service that seem to be missing. There are plenty of families with children the ages of our girls but we feel very unwelcomed there. Not one person around us has said hello or greeted us before or after the service. We even dropped Clara Bea in the nursery and no one there seemed to notice that we were new. It is discouraging.
This week I made a connection with another homeschool mom. She is the chair person for a co-op group that meets on Mondays. I called to ask some questions about the group and the classes offered. While talking with her we found out that we both live in the same small town of Lynnville. This sweet lady invited us over to her house for a play date so that we and our children could meet one another. After talking with her we discovered that her husband was the heating/air guy that had come to our house to look at the air conditioner. When he was at our house he had talked with John about their church and had invited us back then. But we didn't listen very well about the location or the name of the church so we weren't sure where it was. Turns out it is right around the corner. So his wife re invited us to visit their church. I made sure I got the name and location this time.
Sunday John and I visited this community nondenominational church. They are currently meeting in the community center here in Lynnville and even hold Sunday school classes for the children in the Pastor's home which is right next door. However our children are away visiting their grandparents so it was just John and I this past week. When we came in the door it was like people lined up at the door to shake our hands and greet us. It was such an opposite reaction to what we experienced at the other church. Now granted this is a smaller church and a smaller town, so it was more recognizable that we were new but it felt amazing. The service was similar to the other church, the music was simple and the preaching was from the Word of God. I think we will definitely go back. It will be a great way to make connections in this town. Actually being able to know our neighbors and not having to drive a distance on Sunday mornings would be a huge blessing.
I think now I am hung up on ideals. I am sad that we do not have a PCA church to attend here. Why am I being such a snob about what kind of church we go too? If they are preaching the gospel, then I should be happy and recognize that we are all going to heaven together. But I struggle with this. I want more. I miss the liturgy of the worship service. I miss the hymns of faith. I want truths taught to my children that point to Jesus as our only Saviour.
So for now, we will make it a matter of prayer. Praying that God will lead us to where he wants us to be, showing us the place in which he has called us to.
No comments:
Post a Comment