Today John and I ran our first 10K race together. After running off and on now for about five years this was my next goal to complete. I am thankful that my husband decided to join me because it is always more fun to experience it with someone else. At least that is my perspective.
For me, there is always a rush of satisfaction when crossing the finish line. There are many mental games I have to play along the course though. My husband asked me - do I actually enjoy this? My answer was yes, well - sort of, it's more like a love/hate relationship I have with running. It is painful and agonizing along the way but after the run is complete there is such a feeling of joy I have. I guess I feel like I really accomplished something. And yet it is also a humbling experience to know that I could not have done it without a greater source of strength which comes from my heavenly Father.
We took the girls with us this morning. We all left the house by 6 a.m. in order to get downtown and to the race location with some time to spare. They did great. I packed them some breakfast to eat and they hung out in the gym a the YMCA. We instructed them on what time to come out onto the street when we should be arriving at the finish line. It was fun for them to experience this with us. I hope that one day I will be able to run along side my girls. I hope that this will be an example to them for goals of lifetime fitness.
Anyhow - John is always a "game talker". He had decided that he was going to beat me. The kids took sides of who they thought would cross the finish line first. I didn't mind them choosing their daddy over me - they should think of him as the strong one but Emily always believes in her Mom. So during the fifth mile when I could see John ahead of me struggling a bit, I figured it was my chance to take him. So I passed with ease and thought he probably wouldn't let me get out of his sight.
I finished the race in 52:47 and John came in at 53:36. Yes there is a smile on my face now. The Shand household always rolls with some friendly competition.
No comments:
Post a Comment